Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Glass Menagerie


“Yes, I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion.”
 -Tennessee Williams, The Glass Menagerie



 Today, Tennessee William's "The Glass Menagerie" has been on my mind as well as the mastery of his truth-giving illusions.

Performed in 1944 in Chicago, "The Glass Menagerie," tells the (biographically inspired) story  of a memory of three people who exist in an apartment: a dramatic Southern belle  mother, her close-to-combustion son and her shut-in daughter. There is a fourth person, the "gentleman caller" so anticipated by all, but he is more of an idea than a character: he is the climax,  the "shining piece of glass" for which the audience and the characters reach.

Not much happens in this play if you are just looking at the physical events. However, it is fully engaging and does a better job of weaving powerful themes than many books I have read. I have to admit that I didn't appreciate it much in high school, but now I do.

The theme that sticks with me most is that most people are content to sit and watch their lives pass them. They don't risk discomfort or change for the unknown or adventure. Most people are quite happy to admire the reels of their past, gaze at loveliness from a safe distance, or spend their days with hard labor and their night's with mindless entertainment.

“People go to the movies instead of moving. Hollywood characters are supposed to have all the adventures for everybody in America, while everybody in America sits in a dark room and watches them have them.”

It's easy to get hurt and stop pushing, to land in a safe cocoon where nothing will disappoint again.

“Being disappointed is one thing and being discouraged is something else. I am disappointed but I am not discouraged.”says the character who represents real living.

Depending on whether you stop where you are or keep moving forward despite disappointment, it get's harder to get out or easier to keep moving. Eventually, the time will come to make a choice, or move on or to decide to be stuck.

“For nowadays the world is lit by lightning! Blow out your candles, Laura -- and so goodbye. . . .” 


These thoughts and words have been the white noise of my mind today. Sorry I can't take longer to tie my thoughts together or explain better, but I think you should read the book or see the play. You won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment