Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Burrow

This house reminds me of the Burrow. Yes, from Harry Potter. It's tall and skinny and full of stairs and people. Already I know it's going to be hard saying goodbye to the people.
I'm sitting in the living room right now, avoiding my paper that's due Monday, and looking at the mesh of matching blankets (Sam, our "house big-brother" of sorts bought us blankies), books, cups of tea and coffee, art supplies, video game controllers and comic books that have spread themselves out all over the place.
We're certainly all very different, but we all have similar interests, too. It's weird having people understand when I make some obscure reference to some obscure book or movie.
I feel intimidated sometimes by the thought-caliber of some of the people here, but not in a bad way...in an inspiring way. But I also feel respected-like my voice counts, too.
Furthermore, I'm so glad that this isn't just place of thoughts, it's a place of FUN. One of my favorite things is when we're all in the kitchen cooking and there's happy music playing and we're singing along. I am now of the opinion that all kitchens must be equipped with a sound system. period. We've also, through some very tragic circumstance relating to Sam, had the opportunity to join up in prayer (as we've also done before our meals together). This was an amazing experience as well. We're all pretty comfortable together, and it's very much like a cozy family of 20somethings already.
My living environment here in the house wasn't one of the main things on my mind as I set off for this semester, but I think it's going to end up being one of the biggest blessings. I'm so grateful for the fellowship I've been able to have with these wonderful brothers and sisters in Christ already, especially since I'm missing many of you at home immensely at the same time. The inside of my chest has started to feel a little like an ocean tide-growing empty and full and empty and full again. There's so much to experience that I'm excited about, and so much that I am missing right now, too. But I'm happy.
I found this on my old xanga the other day (I think I wrote it two or three years ago). Anyway, thinking of these things still makes me happy and I thought I'd share it. Oh, well, it won't post, so nevermind. :-)
I read Phantastes, but not Lilith. :-/

2 comments:

  1. love hearing that you are happy in the Crick with your fellow travelers! We miss you, and are happy that you are doing so well. you are in our thoughts and prayers constantly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember my first and only day spent in Oxford. Not as a student looking forward to a new adventure in the beautiful city, but as a tourist trying to take everything in within a few short hours before it was time to journey to the next location. I hated that feeling but loved the fact that I was simply there. I felt inferior to the large groups of students that surrounded me in collared shirts and some in cloaks. They were overwhelmed by finals week, which I had been through numerous times but still could not relate. I felt that way deservingly so. I just want to say that I cant think of anyone else that is more worthy to be in your position. I am proud to call you my friend and am drawn in by your intelligence and art portrayed in your blog posts. I so look forward to being taken back to that city and getting to explore it in a new light...in your light. I love you so much! And I miss you dearly!

    ReplyDelete