Saturday, June 21, 2014

Secrets EXPOSED

Readers and social media friends, I have been keeping things from you. Big things. Here they are:

1. In about one month, Dane and I will be moving to a small town in Mississippi.

 It is a VERY small town: old-school, countryside, abundant in rich-characters and hilarious anecdotes, lots of quiet out in the country tempered by the fact that most of my extended family will be nearby (and believe me, it's an entertaining bunch). I'm thinking that writing ideas will abound.

2. We will be moving into my great-grandparents farm home

Which is full of good memories and in need of a little TCL. The plan is that we are going to live there for awhile, sprucing the place up a little and having some of our space.  Dane and I are not planning to settle in Mississippi forever at the moment, just spending some time there while we are...

3. Going back to school

I was accepted into a Masters program through SNHU awhile back. I am really excited about the program, which places an emphasis on both English Literature AND Creative Writing. I am hoping it will help me in my own writing, open up more secondary teaching opportunities, and provide a stepping stone to my ultimate goal of getting a PhD and being able to teach at a college level. Financial Aid is worked out, and I am excited! The program is long-distance/online.

Dane has an Associates Degree and wants to complete his bachelors degree. He loves technology and has also enjoyed working in a laboratory.  He is also interested in some of the Web/Graphic Design programs at SNHU, Liberty online, and a couple of other places. There is also a possibility that if he gets a job at one of the companies he has applied to, he could have certain certification programs paid for by the company. He's really excited about that possibility. Speaking of work...

4. New Jobs...a leap of faith

We have things in the works, though not yet solid.  It's a little bit of a leap of faith. We have some savings, but not a lot. We will have less expenses, but obviously will need to make a living.

 Dane is really hoping to get a job at one of two big companies which recently opened up in the area, and I think he really has a chance at one. One of the companies is kind of a techy corporation, and the other one is in airplane manufactoring. Both of these areas are extremely interesting to him, he qualifies for several job listings, and the jobs all have great benefits.  He has recently sent in several applicatons, and we are hopeful. It's amazing that there are just now opportunities to work at these big companies in this small of a town.  He's planning to work fulltime and go to school part-time or fulltime, depending on what happens.
 I am planning to work part-time and go to school fulltime. I recently was certified in Wilson Reading System (after spending two years on my practicum). This is a system which teaches children or adults how to read from the beginning, and it is especially effective for those with learning disabilities. I am hoping to offer this, along with my ability to tutor in other areas (SAT, various academic courses) around the area. I am also becoming licensed to be a Zumba instructor next weekend. I'm so excited! I love Zumba-it has helped me feel so much better this year, both physically and emotionally. I have been working really hard to get in good shape, and I am excited to bring dance fitness to a town which does not have it locally (Yes, you heard me, there is NO Zumba in Ellisville). I also have a small Shaklee business which I might try to build alongside the Zumba fitness. Project Healthify Mississippi!  I am a little scared, but mostly excited!

5. Who knows what next?

So as you can see, lots of changes in the works for us. We realize that these changes probably seem extreme and sudden to you, but we've been working on them for awhile. We've thought and prayed over them and have a peace about it all.  We are excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment