Wednesday, February 5, 2014

10 Reasons You Should Watch "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

I heard about Buffy the Vampire Slayer a lot, growing up. I don't think I was allowed to watch it when it premiered, and then I was just never interested.
Until the summer of 2011, when I was staying with my grandparents in Mississippi. It was one of those days when it's too hot to do much, so everyone was napping in ye olde Southern fashion. I got out my laptop and pulled up Netflix.
My mom and I had been watching "Dark Shadows," and I didn't want to continue it without her. However, with vampires on the brain, I found Buffy. At first I thought, "This is silly," but then I watched another episode, and another one after that. It is now one of my go-to "background shows." I have to admit that I haven't gotten too far in, though I also watch the show's spin-off, "Angel."

So, today I would like to bring you.....

 10 Reasons you Should Watch "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" 

1. Nostalgia

Fellow 90s kids, it's all there...
Tiny hairclips, glitter, scrunchies, overalls, mini skirts, baggy jeans, mauve lipstick, Blink 182 and Sarah McLachlan. Whatever the 90s looked like to you, you will find it on this show. If you are currently a 20 something facing the onset of adult pressures in life, Buffy the Vampire Slayer will transport you to an easier time. (I remember seeing bits of the show when I was 8 or 9 and thinking the actors were adults).




2.This Girl 


Buffy defies most TV stereotypes. She is witty and intelligent, but she isn't depicted as a geek. She likes cheerleading, but doesn't conform to standard "cheerleader" steriotypes, either. She's pretty, fashionable and cool, but not consistently popular. She is compassionate. She is very extraverted but is also something of a loner.  She kicks butt. However, she also has her downfalls, which are realistic considering her strengths. Buffy is at times a bit arrogant, superficial and impulsive. However, I think this only aids her characterization which makes her one of the better rounded "supergirl" characters out there.

3. Realistic Character Devlopment 
The many amazing side-characters are also well-rounded and develop in interesting ways throughout the seasons, and even the show's spin-off. I especially like how Cordelia, the "popular girl" starts off as someone you love to hate, but ends up growing up into someone you actually kind of like by the time "Angel" gets going good . Also, it is kind of acknowledged in the show that Buffy used to be more of a Cordelia, and you can still see it in there at times. There are few "all good" or "all bad" characters.

4. Totally Unrealistic Other Stuff

Like how a 90 Ib. girl can kick a vampire seven feet up in the air, or a witch, werewolf and vampire-slayer ending up in the same friend-group (Coincidence? I think not.) There are numerous campy moments featuring Angel's wig and Scottish accent in the flashbacks. Also, the students of Sunnydale High, who would all be in for some serious therapy, bounce back from massacres like little rubber band people. It's all in good fun, though, and it will make you laugh.


5. Young David Boreanaz

                                                  

 And you thought he was hot on "Bones"


6. Giles




Because everyone needs an Oxford-professor style librarian at their Californian high-school..... Who is an expert on dark supernatural forces. He just wants to drink his tea and read his book. 










7. The Theme Song



Duuunn-dun-dun-DUNNNNNNNN. 
To listen, click below: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-xnvdtuRRo 



8. Witty Banter



If you dig Gilmore Girls, this one's for you. 

9. Romantic Angst 



Beautiful people, forbidden love, and 90s love ballads. And, did I mention, young David Boreanaz???
Oh yeah, I did. Well, it deserves two mentions. 


10. Joss Whedon

Come on, fellow nerds. Would he of Firefly and Superheros really lead you so wrong? Checking out this show is a great way to enjoy some of this screenwriter/producer's earlier work. Though a bit lighter than some of his other stuff, "Buffy" excels in the same areas as much of his other work:  humor, action,  great ensemble cast. 

 I hope you will consider checking out this campy , yet classic show, and I hope that you will enjoy it as much as I do!  P.S. It's still on Netflix!







No comments:

Post a Comment