Saturday, February 8, 2014

Cabin FEVER

It started yesterday with a really bad headache, and by the time yesterday evening rolled around, it had become...
Severe Headache. Chills. Fever. Body Aches. Sore Throat.Tossed and turned for hours last night trying to ignore the pain and get some sleep. Around 2 a.m. I finally dragged myself out of bed and down the stairs where I gathered a bottle of Tylenol P.M., a cup of tea, an ice pack, and a microwavable bear. I was running the bath water when I realized that I probably shouldn't take all those items in there with me. The water was as hot as it could go, but it didn't feel hot to me. I'm not really sure what happened next, but I could hear my heart pounding in my brain.
I realized that it sounded like a clock, and it seemed so profound to me in that moment that our hearts are like clocks which are constantly breaking just a little bit, keeping time for the moments of our lives.
I must have had a really high fever because as soon as I had that thought I became convinced that I was going to die in the bathtub and I was very afraid.

By 4 a.m. I was watching Dr. Who with Dane, who got us both pairs of socks stuffed with garlic ( a natural remedy) for our feet. Mine for my fever, his for prevention. Within a couple of minutes we could taste the garlic in our mouths. It definitely helped me get to sleep.

I've spent 98% of the day in bed, with one or two trips down the stairs for tea. My husband is a very good caregiver. He went to Kroger and got medicine and made the best roasted garlic chicken soup ever. My dad brought over some Shaklee.
I'm afraid I haven't been the best patient though. I didn't WANT to be sick this weekend. It's been a really stressful week, for both of us, and I really wanted some quality time R & R together.

 Furthermore, I really don't want Dane getting sick, with his work life being really busy and Valentine's Day weekend so soon. We have a history of planned romantic outings not panning out.

Mostly, I hate being confined to bed, especially on the weekends. I always have a little cabin fever on the weekends, but when I physically can't go out it's even worse. I wanted to work out (there was a Zumba marathon at the YMCA today), cuddle, go out on a date, get some packing done. I wanted some romance with my sweetie instead of the chills and a wastebasket full of tissues. I don't want to be alone in my bedroom with my medicines.

I get super emotionally needy when I'm not feeling well, too, and all I want to do is cuddle and have my back rubbed. Dane's trying to bring me what I need and let me rest, while also not getting sick himself.

Poor Dane. He's really put up with my moodiness over being sick today. I've been a real Oozy Ogre, to quote a phrase my bestie invented:
 (http://owanderingfolk.wordpress.com/2014/02/06/thoughts-from-an-ogre/)


I'm hoping and praying that I get well soon and that Dane doesn't get this nasty so that we can both be well enough to enjoy next weekend together.



No comments:

Post a Comment