Thursday, February 13, 2014

Out of hibernation

The dim warm smells of stew and candles filled our hollowed out place, our camp for the past three days.
Donned in slippers, jeans and a t-shirt, a mug of steaming savory goodness in my hands, I open the thick door which has been our barrier against a world of ice.

The door opens, and it is so beautiful that I find myself full of a wordless joy. The sky is no longer grey, but blue. The sun is smiling, reflecting it's light upon a hundred white, crystaline surfaces.  The world sparkles.

I step out onto the front step, looking around now that I am accustomed to the brightness. I hear the revving of an engine, sounding more like a blender than any engine should.
 A small, grey car is attempting to surmount the hill, something which has hencefar been attempted but not accomplished since the snowpocalypse began. The car is sliding backwards now, and I hold my breath, not sure if it is going to be okay. The car slowly retreats backwardly into it's parking spot, safe but humiliated.

I am about to go back inside, but then I notice. There are others! Other people! They are starting to wipe the ice off of their cars and like, me, they are watching something. I turn my head back to the center of the parking lot, where a large SUV has pulled out. Those tires are huge, and they have traction. This is the true test.

The vehicle backs up slowly, as far back as the driver can take it before crashing into the sidewalk. I can almost hear the driver shift to Drive. We all watch as the tires spin fast. The car climbs quickly, speeding up the hill, not giving the ice time to make it slip. It is a panther streaking up a near-vertical mountainside. In its wake, the snow and sludge squirts out from beneath its tires.

At the crest of the hill, the SUV slows, the blender sound vibrates from it's chambers and it almost wiggles, back and forth, trying to gain its grasp on the ground.

Finally, it retreats in the same patterns on the ground as the smaller car had before it.
However, the people are outside watching, the cars are moving, the sun is shining, and the water is dripping in a steady stream from the roof above.
The world is waking up from hiberation.

No comments:

Post a Comment