Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Less Love in the World



I am so lonely.
Usually my grief is for the person I miss so much-my mom, one of my best friends in the world, the only person who ever really understood the way I feel and think about things.  

Lately, there have been times when my grief is for myself.  It’s self-pitying I know. But I don’t think it’s wrong or unnatural. There is so much less love for me in the world than there used to be, and I feel it. 
I just wrote a bunch of examples for times when I feel this absence of love. It was too much, and it was making it worse. I deleted them.
Let me just say that feel the absence of this special kind of love often in my life. Very often.

I realize now what people told me growing up is so true, “Your mama just loves you so much. She is so proud of you. She talks about you all the time.” 

 She wasn’t pushy. She was a cheerleader.  Her belief in me expanded my world enormously so that every failure felt picked up off the broken ground, brushed off, and mendable. Every achievement seemed to catapult my horizons so that they stretched easily into forever. 

Confiding in her seemed to make things better too. She was such a good listener and gave such good advice. Even if it didn’t change anything, really, it always helped to talk to her.  The few people I actually talk to in person about my biggest personal problems (which is mostly related to this topic these days) are sweet  to listen, but can’t make me feel better, so I stop myself a lot. They listen, nod, don’t say anything. Maybe there’s a hug. And that’s the best anyone can do I guess. No one can fix it. 

I am grateful for the people who have listened to me, but I wish for more. I wish for the sage, comforting way my mom listened and responded. But the wish only makes it hurt worse.

I remember the last time she comforted me. It was also the first time I really understood that she couldn’t make anything feel better.
It always makes me cry to think of that. I am crying now.   

The day before she died, she couldn’t even talk. I lay in bed with her. I couldn’t even tell if she was awake, she had barely moved or made a sound day.  I tried to tell her good things, sweet things, but the tears came despite my best intentions and carried me away. I couldn’t breathe. I didn’t mean for her to hear, but I have a habit of hyperventilating when I’m really upset. As I tried to slow my breathing, I felt a hand on my back. She had moved her hand for the first time all day and was rubbing my back. Her eyes were still closed, but there were tears coming out the sides of them.  In a few hours, there were white streaks of salt crusted along the corners of her eyes. She had called out the day before, the last loud thing she had said in a painful voice, “I don’t want to die yet.”
I realized then that she was helpless. And I was helpless.  

It was the helplessness that hurt so much then, and I see it in the eyes of my family and friends when they look at me.  Painful helplessness is not what I wish for them, or you, but I have to get this out into the universe or I will explode.

My world feels so much smaller without her enthusiasm. I feel like I have lost an important part of myself. I was always the dreamer, an optimist.  No hurt is beyond mending. Happy endings are always possible. I am struggling now, because I question that. 
I am tentative without the strongly woven net of love beneath me. 

I feel uncertain excitement with my successes. Recently I have achieved two goals that my mom knew I was working towards.  After each, I was excited, and told my dad and Dane, who congratulated me and said they were proud of me. Then there was a hollowness, a feeling like neither really happened, a “This is it?" Because I guess, connected to those acheivements, was the knowledge that I would make my mom proud and excited, maybe more than anyone. She would probably be more excited than me. That's just how she was.

I wish I had told my mom more often how much I appreciated her enthusiasm and joy. On trips. With family and co-workers.  With me and my small successes.  If I had told her about these recent successes, she would have told the family and they would have known, and she would have smiled at me and maybe done a “whooo-hoo!”  I mean, I could tell my family this stuff.  Dane would say “WHOOOO-HOO” if I wanted him too. It’s not about that. I guess I just am realizing that I was irreplaceable to someone who was irreplaceable to me.  I took it for granted, how proud she was of me, how much everything in my life meant to her.

It’s hard to think about all the times that that will happen again in future years.  Will every important good thing hurt this much?

This one looms larger than the others: As much as I look forward to starting a family with Dane one day, I currently cannot bear the thought of my mom not being there when I am pregnant. I can’t bare the idea of her not being there to meet her grandkids. I would not be able to cope with that right now. I probably won’t be able to for awhile. 

 I have people who love me, I know, but it’s very lonely.  I am very lonely. There’s no one to share this special grief with really, no one who will understand completely. That's the nature of it, though.
Maybe you'll read it an relate in some way. Maybe someone who loved you died, and you feel an abscence of love, too. Maybe you got dumped by someone you thought you'd found forever in. Or maybe you aren't speaking to your best friend. I'm not saying no one can relate to this kind of grief, just that every grief of this kind is personal  and unique.
The beauty of a blog post is this: It helps me to write about it and get it out there.
If it helps you to know you're not alone in your pain, great. If it makes you depressed, you can stop reading it or forget that you did immediately.
Regardless, I don’t have to watch you stare at me helplessly. Win-win.
 I’ll come up with something happier for you tomorrow. Promise.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't have a relationship like this with either of my parents. I always wanted it and was envious of others whose mom was their best friend. I had to let go of that longing at a certain point and come to the realization that they just weren't those kind of people. So something you might not have expected, your mom is teaching me lessons about being a better mother...through you. Her legacy lives. How beautiful.

    ReplyDelete