Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Little Authors



Just an ordinary day....
Disclaimer, names have been changed.

I teach six different types of classes every day, but I have two that I really enjoy: literature and creative writing. Apparently, my enthusiasm comes through in those classes (in a way that I doubt it does for math or science), because it is only the kids in those classes who always come in with one question spilling out of their mouths: “So what are we doing today Ms. Katie?” 
Sometimes it’s frustrating because they all ask it in echo fashion as I’m still trying to scoot my previous class out of the door.  However, looking back on my day and recollecting that oh-so-common query fills me with affection and pride for my students.
Today, however, my Creative Writing class didn’t even ask what to do (I told them yesterday, but had forgotten that I had). They came right in, got their blue folders, and quietly went straight to the computer lab where they began to type and revise their short stories.  I was so proud of their self-motivation as I looked around at them getting their stuff set up. The way they pulled up the Word documents and intently read my comments on their papers made them look so much older than they are.  My chest felt warm with fondness.  
I went around to give feedback, suggestions, and translate my cryptic handwriting. For a good while, no one was even really talking (rare moment, I assure you, in a room full of kids with ADHD).
Then I starting reading something that Strawberry Shortcake wrote, the ending of her story. 

Me: ‘”LeeAnna and Matty went to prom. They go to UGA.’  Strawberry, did you mean that they are going to go to UGA?”

Strawberry: “uh…yeah?”

Me: “Well, you need to change the tense, and you should tell me when they go, something like… “In the fall, LeeAnna and Matty began school at UGA together,” because right now it sounds like they  are going straight from prom to the UGA campus.”

Strawberry:  (giggling) “Oh, ok. Got it….”Three days later, they started school at UGA” 
Me: “Um…college applications are definitely more than a three day process Strawberry.”

                     Merlin (age 11) looks up from his writing, suddenly his expression is quite tortured.

Merlin: “Wait, wait, WAIT, Ms. Katie. You told ME that I couldn’t change anything after I pre-planned."

(Merlin likes to change the course of his stories drastically every day, so he was challenged to map it out and stick to writing his main events as they were planned this time). 

Me: “Well, this is an editing thing, not a main event thing. We’re doing lots of editing things today. Also, if you wanted your characters to apply for, get into, and begin college in three days that would be ok with me. Your story happens in a fantasy universe that you created, while Strawberry’s story takes place in our hometown.”

Merlin: “ Ohhhhhhh” (goes back to writing, looking smug)

                                                                Deerslayer looks up from his writing.

Deerslayer:  “Ms. Katie, how do you spell ‘radishes’?"

Me: “R-A-D-I-S-H-E-S,  why?”
Deerslayer: “Oh, I’m writing more about basic training for my story. You know how they give them radishes?”
Me: “You mean rations?”
Deerslayer: “Yeah!”
Me (trying not to laugh): “Um, I don’t think “radishes,” is the word you are looking for. What you mean is…”
 Strawberry cuts in: “Mrs. Katie. Can I add a teacher in my story named, ‘Dr. Fartalotagus?’ Or would that be too inappropriate?”
Dinoman (age 9) looks up from his writing, suddenly: “You know, nobody can finish high school and start college in three days.”  (goes back to writing for several seconds, then pauses and looks up again.)…”Unless it’s Dr. Who.   He could do it.”
Me (smiling now): “Yep, he could do it.”


2 comments: