Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Trashing the Mind to go with the Body (not as deep as it sounds)

I have come to discover something. I enjoy some really BAD television sometimes, especially when I am not feeling well.
Last time I was sick, early in the fall, I came home from school and crawled into the bathtub (my cure-all, part mermaid), put my ipad on the counter, and proceded to watch a television show called:

"My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding"

I watched like five episodes of crazy.

It's mostly about teenage brides who are raised to clean everything with bleach, love BLING and Victoria's Secret (ok, I like VS too), and remain pure (despite an incredibly scandalous wardrobe) until they marry their young husbands whom they may have only met a few times. There is drama. There are boys with spiky hair. There is one lady who brushes her teeth with straight-up bleach.

Something I genuinely like about that show is that I find the current existence of such a sub-culture in modern America to be fascinating. Based on the show, there's a large population of Romani only an hour or so away from where I live. Who knew?

Despite that genuinly interesting feature, the whole show is mostly brain trash.

My other brain rot source is the CW, AKA, mindless-supernatural-drama-but- with-a-great-soundtrack-and-really-hot- people-chanel.

Well, I'm sick right now.

So last night, I once again come back from school, feeling sick and achy,  and  look for something to watch before I crawl into the tub. The old favorites don't grab my attention, nor do the thought-provoking shows. So I find my CW app and lo and behold, there is a show now by the CW cabout Mary, Queen of Scots, called "Reign."

So I start watching, and as is my typical response to most CW television, I find myself between moments of internal groaning, "ohhhh, this is soooo BADD" and goose-bumping over the pretty music with the pretty cinematophy and pretty people and the dramatic plotlines.

I guess this is how people get addicted to romance novels?

Anyway, this show is really, really bad. Nothing is historically accurate, and the fact that everyone has British accents makes it hard to tell who is supposed to be French, who is supposed to be Scottish, and who is supposed to be English. Why do film people always make everyone sound English?
Don't get me started on the fashion. Or the acting.

But today, still feeling bad, I knew exactly what I wanted to watch when I crawled into bed.

Luckily it's mostly an "I'm sick thing." But it scares me a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment